Saturday 18 November 2006

Faranoia a realisation

Frank Farina is the new coach of the Roar. But sadly, he could not do for us what Newcastle managed after the sacking of their coach several rounds ago.
But then again, we were playing the runaway leaders of the competition, they were playing New Zealand!!
Farina is already making positive changes in my books. He has taken off Marcus Wedau (who just hasn't been performing) and re-instated the captain of the team, Chad Gibson. I mean, what was Bleiberg thinking, not letting the tem captain play? What is that telling the team, and all it's fans?
Gibson's first touch of the ball may have been a bit rusty, and almost costly, but he soon warmed to the game and had a couple of magic moments that showed why he deserved to be out there. He is a positive leader and could be seen throughout the game to be talking up his defenders, something that a captain should do. Good to see you back Chad.
But seriously, what's with the Roars hair? Or lack thereof. It seems several players including Ante Milicic, Andrew Packer, Sasa Ogdenovski, Marcus Wedau and Stuart McLaren have all lost their hair for some reason. Could someone explain to me what that is all about?
And would people please stop bagging out Reinaldo. Seriously guys, how can someone make a decent attempt at the ball when their shirt is almost choking them or being taken off by the opposite team? Every week without fail, Reinaldo is targeted and held back, with the referees seemingly oblivious to the whole event!
Don't even get me started on the referees.

4 comments:

john said...

Hi Jeccy

I think the hair thing is a form of contrition. That is, we haven't played as we can but we we will sacrifice to do better. For many fans around me, it meant that Sasa was blamed for the own goal instead of Andrew. Hey they all look the same. Football is a funny game. Sometimes the better team, does not win.

On the game. Melbourne found themselves handing on - tanked by 80 minutes. The word is that up to 8 of their players are in doubt for the next match with injury. The Roar defence took out Archie and Danny A, they had had it by the end. But we made some silly mistakes.

In the post match interview, when asked about his goal scoring rivalry with Muscat, Archie said 'I'm not diving for Muscat in the box any more.' Good one Archie.

Hamish Alcorn said...

G'day Jesse. Always good to see a new blogger, especially a Roar-supporting one.

I especially miss Sasa's hair. It was cool and did mean you could always spot him. Our experience at the game was the same as John's - we actually thought it was Sasa's own goal until we got home and read differently on the net. But anyway, if the collective haircuts were supposed to be some ritual renewal it didn't work. Seo, who kept his hair, played better than ever.

Now I have been very guilty of bagging Reinaldo. Honestly I have felt that he's failed to be a team player. But at the same time I'm taking your comments on board, and I agree that he was rather ruthlessly shut down on a couple of occasions on Friday. I'll keep watching closely with an open mind. And if he is being targetted deliberately every game as you say, it's all the more reason for the Roar to play three up front!

Cheers.

Hamish Alcorn said...

I'm so sorry I spelled your name wrong!

Jeccy56 said...

When I asked Sasa about his hair the other day he told me with an almost mischevious grin that it was, and I quote,
"So much hotter here in Queensland"
Somehow I feel that is a cover up for an ulterior reason.
Notice that all the hair went at around the same time Miron went?