Saturday 25 August 2007

Round One. It felt like defeat.

Words can not describe the anger I felt coursing through my body earlier tonight. From the disallowing of our would be second goal to the sending off of our captain, I somehow managed to not only shout myself hoarse, but also scare the person sitting in front of me from ever coming to another Roar home match!!

I walked through the gates not long after they had opened and collected my members bag; positive that today was going to mark the beginnings of a great season for the Roar. I could not have been more wrong. A fluke shot early on slipped right through the defence and with the same ease floated through Reddys gloves.

The game was dirty from the moment those players stepped onto the pitch, and the referee did nothing to appease the situation. He let most calls go, but when he did start to call them, he didn’t call the necessary ones. He pulled up the ones that weren’t at all vital to us continuing, probably more hindering than helping at some stages, yet let go the ones right in front of him that were plain as day a foul. I think he must have left his glasses in the dressing room.

That did not stop him from disallowing our second goal for what was it again? Quoting the Roar website “Ante Milicic was adjudged to have obstructed the defensive wall.” BULL! He did not and it was just a poor excuse to not give Queensland the lead.

My sincere gratitude must be extended to Matt McKay and old mate Sasa, for their respective goals. Too bad it couldn’t have been one more. Then we could have been nearer to the top of the ladder, and I could have got a couple of my tips right!!

By the way, if any of you heard, or joined in the bullshit chant following the dismissal of Craig Moore from the field, that was us again. Yep, we started it.

Oh, and I’ve come around to realizing what a good signing Tiatto is. What a little terrier devil!! He’ll have to watch he doesn’t accrue too many yellow cards though!
Thank you, and good night.

9 comments:

Hamish Alcorn said...

Adelaide did play dirty, and that goal probably should have been allowed, but I don't think the reffing was all one sided. Moore deserved his two yellows for example, but yes, Adelaide peobably deserved a couple more as well.

Against Adelaide first round, I'm happy with the draw.

And isn't Tiatto a revelation! Going by that match, our best signing.

In terms of goals, I think I was more pissed off with the sitter that Reinaldo kicked way-high just after Adelaide's goal than the one the ref disallowed. Towards the end Reinaldo had a pretty good game, but after that miss he was fluttering about for 15 minutes trying to make up for it, and looking like the disappointment of last year. It bewildered me a bit that Marcinho rather than Reinaldo came off for Lynch, but there are probably fitness issues I'm unaware of.

Anyway, I went with my son and three of his mates as well as Jacob's Mum - it was all part of Jacob's birthday celebrations. And it was a hoot.

Neil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cecilia said...

I absolutely love how both you and John (initially) thought the reffing was one-sided. Tiatto got away with murder!!!

That is all.

-Cecilia

Cecilia said...

I will add that I thought Tiatto is the kind of bite that the Roar desperately needed. He really needs to watch himself though, soon the refs will pretty much be watching him only and just waiting to reach for their red cards!

Neil said...

It looks like Tiatto might be in a spot of trouble with the FFA for his "infamous" two foot tackles. Apparently both he and Alagich are under investigation. And I have to agree with Hamish - Moore did deserve those two yellows.

Neil said...

Sorry, that's Heffernan under investigation not Alagich.

Anonymous said...

On the reffing, I don't know if you had the same view of it as we did, but at least 3 of our group will swear that the ref did a "Graham Poll". As we saw it, he showed Adelaide's Jonas Salley two yellow cards - one in the first half and one in the second - but didn't send him off.

That, combined with the overly technical officiating (the disallowed goal was a joke) and missing the Tiatto-Alagich incident means that ref might be back to state league this week.

We'll have to see...

Cecilia said...

Dave,

I've got a copy of the game in my hands... I'll watch it again tomorrow and see if I can spot what you're on about!

Hamish Alcorn said...

Round Four. It felt like... victory. It felt good.